21 November 2015

A Bit of Grammatical Light Relief


I bought 'A Choice of Comic and Curious Verse' in 1975, when I was twelve. It's been one of my cherished possessions ever since. The spine is cracking, the glue is decaying, the pages are yellow and there is a stain on the cover. But the poetry is still brilliant - the complete range from wry to hilarious, with a smattering of rather rude.

Here's one of my favourites, by the German poet Christian Morgenstern, and translated by RFC Hull, better known for translating the works of Jung! I have no idea how this works in German, but I love it in English.

The Werewolf by Christian Morgenstern, tr. R.F.C. Hull

There's another translation here along with more information about Morgenstern, but I think the translation above is by far the better!

If anyone knows of an anthology currently in print which contains this (or any) translation of 'The Werewolf', I'd be very grateful if they could give me the details.



No comments:

Post a Comment